Fire damages Edina home on Shannon Drive

The Edina Fire-Rescue & Inspections Department was called to the 7400 block of Shannon Drive at 10:40 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 16, after the homeowner reported a fire.

While the homeowner was able to extinguish the majority of the fire with a fire extinguisher, fire crews arrived to discover smoke coming from the home. There were no injuries.

“Right now, all signs are pointing to spontaneous combustion of some rags that were used to stain kitchen cabinets,” said Fire Marshal Rick Hammerschmidt about the probable origin of the fire.

Oily rags that have absorbed oils such as linseed oil or turpentine should be kept in well-covered metal cans and thoroughly dried before collection or transport.

For more information about the Edina Fire-Rescue & Inspections Department, visit or call 952-826-0330.