The Wooddale Avenue bridge, constructed in 1937, was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Feb. 2.
The bridge was built by the Works Progress Administration as part of the federal relief project during the Great Depression. The administration gave work to the unemployed during that time, and many structures in Minnesota and the United States were built because of those workers.
The Wooddale Avenue bridge was built at the same time as St. Stephen’s Church, across the street when the city of Edina was known as the Village of Edina. Both were constructed using Platteville Limestone.
Workers built the bridge using a combination of corrugated steel to form the arch structure. The masons then used Platteville Limestone to form the headwalls, railings and wingwalls.
As a part of its 2016 work plan, the Heritage Preservation Board is going forward with a request to the Edina City Council to have the Wooddale Avenue bridge designated a local Heritage Landmark. The city will be responsible for maintaining and preserving the bridge.