To the Editor:
The outdoor air may be crisp, but it’s seldom fresh anymore. Wood smoke increasingly pervades neighborhood air from wood burning fireplaces and from restaurants, contaminating the lungs of all living things in its wake.
To children and others with asthma, heart or lung problems, wood smoke can mean a trip to the emergency room or even the morgue. Scientific evidence is out there, yet we refuse to believe it.
My holiday wish is to give our community true fresh air during the holidays. Not fragranced air or smoke-filled air. May we pause before lighting that match and consider burning unscented candles instead? Or switch to a gas fireplace.
Clean air is the gift of life and health. That is all I want for Christmas, and I hope you’ll want that too.